Laois County Council
Comhairle Chontae Laoise
The Laois Arthouse Studio Awards
Laois County Council is delighted to announce The Laois Arthouse Studio Awards for 2014/2015. The Awards are for a three-month duration and artists must work out of The Laois Arthouse Stradbally, Co Laois, for that time. The award is intended to support an artist or musician to develop their professional practice whilst engaging in a residency project in a community context.
The Award includes:
- A bursary of €4,000 for the residency project.
- Out of this bursary the successful candidate must pay rental of the studio. Studio with accommodation at a rent of €200 per month or a studio without accommodation for €120 per month, payable before occupancy and then monthly. (depending on availability of apartment) Light and heat are extra.
- Administrative and curatorial support through Laois County Council Arts Office.
- Inclusion in exhibition and performance programmes with Laois County Council and the Dunamaise Arts Centre.
- Services offered within the complex include a studio space, exhibition space, music rehearsal space, kiln, garden space, sound & digital equipment and library facilities.
- Must be resident or from Republic of Ireland
- Must have graduated from a recognised University or Higher College of Education.
- Should the applicant require the use of the kiln they must have appropriate training in kiln use and firing.
- Should the applicant require the use of MAC Pro and Final Cut digital equipment available, they must demonstrate their ability in its use.
- Applicants must be open to engaging with the local Laois community in order to raise awareness and appreciation of music or art. The minimum artist/local community contact time is one day a week and a final exhibition/performance is required also.
- A detailed report on the residency including photo documentation and other formats is required.
- The successful applicant must sign a tenancy agreement with Laois County Council.
Applicants are asked to submit the following
- A letter of application and a detailed proposal outlining the proposed usage of the studio. A work plan outlining intentions for the four month period.
- A detailed description of proposed Artist/Community contact time, how the artist/musician will engage with the community. (max 600 words).
- Describe how the opportunity will impact and affect your music or artistic practice. (max 600 words).
- A current Curriculum Vitae including a short description of your education, current practice including solo and group exhibitions, performances, recordings, publications, research projects, residencies, awards or bursaries to date. Copies of relevant educational qualifications are required.
- Documentation of work. (applicant’s submitting digital info should do so on disc using open standard formats). Please ensure that your name is clearly marked on all visuals submitted. We will accept a maximum of ten images/photographs. Sound or video work on CD or DVD should be for a max. duration of 3 minutes only.
- Stamped addressed envelope – (for return of supporting documentation if required)
- Indication of which three moth period suits.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to attend an interview in January 2014.
- further information about the award are available from Muireann Ní Chonaill, Arts Officer, Laois County Council, Telephone 0578664103/8664003, website www.laois.ie or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications should be submitted not later than 12noon on the 20th December 2013 to the Arts Officer, Laois County Council, Áras an Chontae, Portlaoise, Co Laois. (No email applications accepted)
This project is funded throught the Percent for Art Scheme, Department of Environment, Community and Local Government, the Arts Council and Laois County Council